Title: Visiting Nurse Service of New York Film Collection
Span Dates: 1924 – 1990
Creator: Visiting Nurse Service of New York
Extent: 200 Reels
Links: VNSNY Online Media
Subject(s): Visiting Nurse Service of New York , Bray Productions , Silent Film , Health Care
Notes: Founded in 1893, the Henry Street Settlement was among the wave of Progressive Era social reform organizations developed in response to industrialization, poverty, and urban overcrowding. Situated in the heart of Manhattan’s Lower East Side, the Henry Street Settlement developed a wide range of social service initiatives, including its pioneering Visiting Nurse Service, committed to providing public health education and quality care to all. In 1944, the Visiting Nurse Service became its own independent organization. Still flourishing today, the Visiting Nurse Service of New York continues Wald’s vision of bringing high-quality and affordable health care to New York City’s five boroughs and several surrounding counties. This collection of films (the earliest dating to 1924) demonstrates how the Visiting Nurse Service has used moving images to achieve its fundraising, promotional, and educational objectives for over 90 years.
The paper collection of the Visiting Nurse Service of New York is held at the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York City.
Citation: Visiting Nurse Service of New York Film Collection, Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive, University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts.
Location: USC Hefner Archive
Access: Available by appointment, online or digital access for a fee.